We're all susceptible to the magical glittering promise of green grass on the other side of where we live out monotonous lives. My brain has a hard time convincing itself it's a lie. Especially when the brain is so supported by all my senses which jump out and around and gather anything they can get their greedy little hands on when I am somewhere new. Delight is a hard thing to deny when it's pretty much the only information gathered. Although, every experience I have of something new, all the love and sparkle soon fades and then I'm left with that irky feeling that I need to get up and get my hands on something fresh. Melbourne, is pretty much the epitome of the dreamland I once heard spoken about in year 3. I suspect Mrs Sheldon-Collins was very much trying to do justice to aboriginal history, and my did she try to keep it specifically in relation to the dreamtime but I think she unknowingly and consequentially sparked a curiosity in me as to whether this dreamtime is in fact a past event or if some other version if it does not occur to all of us in her class. After all, year 3 teaches us nothing but, dream time exists all the time as the only escape of monotonous 8 year old life cooped up in a room with dark blue carpet. And now you hear the place where I am coming from, you'll just connect with my whole journey a whole lot better.
Melbourne is green. The grass is green guys. So green it hurts.
I once visited this place with a working adult memory earlier this year with a dear friend. My experience was just like being let loose in a candy store, suddenly everything you love is all around you. It's pure delight everywhere you look, the wind on your skin even feels like it was wisped there just for you, everything smells delicious, not even an exaggeration. So of course, I have been hankering to get my whole self back here for longer than just the 3 perfect days that I spent here last time. Yes. And my, is it just exactly as it first felt. Except, Chapel Street feels more like home this time. The comforting same newness it had before... The roads that I'm driving on for the second time are a welcome route. It's all that exciting 6 month established nostalgia returning to me, I am sucking it all in at a greedy pace.
*Melbs is an abbreviation for Melbourne. I think you'll find that it's affectionate nickname and is widely encouraged.